NodeJS vs PHP – Which is Better for Web Development?
The Web Development field is quite diverse and ever-changing. Several web technologies come and go each year. Thus, the developers are always in a dilemma to use the right web development technology. Today, our focus on two powerful backend technologies- NodeJS vs PHP. Both these backend technologies can handle complex projects, but these are still built around different architecture and have different features. Let’s first have a look at What is NodeJS? And What is PHP?
Table of Contents
NodeJS vs PHP: Overview
What is NodeJS?
Features of NodeJS:
- NodeJS is released under the MIT License.
- NodeJS requires no buffering for data.
- NodeJS is asynchronous and event-driven technology.
- NodeJS is a cross-platform technology.
- NodeJS is an object-oriented programming language.
- NodeJS offers two-way data binding.
What is PHP?
PHP is a Hypertext Preprocessor is an open-source scripting language extensively used for web development. PHP is developed by the company Zend Technologies and designed by the Canadian programmer, Rasmus Lerdorf. PHP is implemented using the C programming language and some components of C++. PHP was initially released in 1994. PHP is an open-source general-purpose scripting language, cross-platform language, and compatible with all the servers. The top companies that use PHP development in their applications are Facebook, Slack, Whatsapp.
Features of PHP:
- PHP is an open-source scripting language.
- PHP provides fast and efficient performance for web development.
- PHP supports object-oriented programming features.
- PHP is compatible with all platforms and servers.
- PHP provides error reporting and exceptions during runtime.
- PHP has a large and active community of developers.
- PHP is a loosely typed programming language.
NodeJS vs PHP: Popularity
Talking about the popularity of these two powerful backend technologies: NodeJS vs PHP, the SimilarTech Website reported that almost 5,889,933 websites are developed using PHP. However, the 167,404 websites are developed in NodeJS.
NodeJS vs PHP: Performance
The most important metric to find the best in NodeJS and PHP is to determine both these technologies’ performance. Comparing NodeJS and PHP’s performance, NodeJS is faster and provides an amazing performance than PHP due to the features like continuous server connection, call-back functions, that ensure the faster app delivery. However, PHP is reliable and stable in performance in terms of web development.
NodeJS vs PHP: Development
From the developers’ perspective, PHP is experienced as extremely quick for web development. The coding in PHP is very easy and simple as compared to NodeJS. There is no need for compilers and components in PHP web development. PHP allows easy connection to the SQL database. More interestingly, there are no hosting limitations in PHP. On the other hand, in NodeJS, the coding is quite difficult and complicated. It requires complex preparation and proper infrastructure for the deployment of frameworks and applications.
NodeJS vs PHP: Database
In Database Connectivity, PHP is quite well connected with the traditional/relational database like MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL. The plus of the PHP technology is that the core functions used in the database are independent of the engine used. PHP well perform with the MySQL database. Whereas, NodeJS has different libraries for accessing SQL databases like MongoDB, CouchDB, and graph database systems. Node.js uses the JSON to connect with other SQL databases.
Do you need any assistance in Web Application Development?
You are right place. Discuss your idea with our team of experts and get free consultations and estimation.
NodeJS vs PHP: Hosting
NodeJS support a less number of hosting servers than the PHP programming language. So, PHP has several numbers of hosting services, which makes it easy to integrate and deploy PHP than in Node.js web development, which calls for a virtual server having SSH access for running applications. Therefore, PHP gots an additional point for having the wonderful hosting features as compared to Node.js development.
NodeJS vs PHP: Asynchronous or Synchronous
NodeJS vs PHP: Practical Application
Considering the practical examples and application of the NodeJS and PHP technology, Node.js can be used in many applications, including multithreaded apps, web applications, browsers, game servers, etc. On the other side, PHP is mostly used for web-oriented application development.
NodeJS vs PHP: Modules
In the Modules case, both the technologies NodeJS and PHP use different features and ways. PHP uses the technologies to install modules like PEAR(a veteran package system) and composer tools. In contrast, NodeJS is bundled with a package management system called NPM(Node Package Manager), and it is relatively easy to publish and use.
NodeJS vs PHP: Frameworks
Considering the point of frameworks in both technologies like NodeJS and PHP, then PHP has a huge number of frameworks that are very useful in the backend development of web applications. Here are some of the PHP frameworks like Laravel, Codeigniter, CakePHP, etc. In comparison, NodeJS is also stepping up into the world of frameworks. NodeJS frameworks are Express and full-stack MVC frameworks like Meteor and Derby.
NodeJS vs PHP: When to use
NodeJS is used for:
- In technology stacks like MEAN stack
- To develop single-page applications(SPAs)
- Front end technologies(jQuery, Angular JS, Backbone.js)
- Back end technologies(MongoDB, Express.js)
PHP is used for:
- In technology stack like LAMP stack
- In CMS’s like WordPress, Drupal, Joomla.
- Servers like MySQL, SQL, MariaDB, Oracle.
NodeJS vs PHP: Benefits
Benefits of using NodeJS
- NodeJS is easy to learn
- NodeJS is used for fast backend solutions
- NodeJS is more flexible and can be integrated with different technologies.
- NodeJS provides the built-in server support
- NodeJS allows the module caching.
Benefits of using PHP
- PHP is easier to use and maintain the code automatically
- PHP is a stable programming language as compared to other languages
- PHP has an extensive and wide community support
- PHP support all internet hosting services
- PHP requires less code.
In Final Thoughts
It’s all about the two powerful backend technologies that are in great demand for web development. The expert web developers develop both these technologies, so these are getting popular with time. You can consider the pros and cons, features of both technologies before using them for web development. If you are looking for PHP development services, then contact the hire PHP developer of the company, Tekki Web Solutions Pvt. Ltd.