What is Wagtail CMS and How does it Work? Features, Use Cases, and Insights
Among the popularity of Content management systems (CMS), WordPress got a significant share in the market. Despite being other CMS systems such as Joomla, Drupal, Magento, etc, the launch of wagtail has created a buzz in the entire CMS market. Wagtail is a Python-based CMS made for Django. Wagtail CMS was released in 2015 by a digital agency named Torchbox.
Wagtail CMS provides tons of flexibility and functionalities to the administrator (content manager) at the cost of interface complexity. Although the Wagtail Content management system has lots of complexities due to its infancy stage. But there are lots of strongholds why it is gaining the market.
Table of Contents
What is Wagtail CMS?
Wagtail CMS is a python based CMS built for Django. It is an open-source Content management system that is quite new in terms of popularity. It is not known to a large segment of the market. It provides a lightweight, minimal, and straightforward CMS interface to the content admin so that he can do all the work efficiently. With a few days of practice, one can easily start managing its websites, stores with Wagtail CMS.
- User-friendly editing tools
- Intuitive architecture and navigation
- Robust image uploading and editing
- Rapid installation in one go
How Wagtail CMS works?
Compared to other content management systems, the Django Content management system (Django CMS) has a very simplified user interface with easy-to-do settings. Any kind of customization can be done easily with Django. Content managers can easily opt for a set of tools coming from programmatically as block or python classes.
Wagtail works with streamfeil, intelligent images, customer experience with headless functionality. Adding Unique and advanced new features should take no effort anymore with Wagtail CMS.
Stream field feature of Wagtail CMS lets you build a web page block by block with the Drag and drop feature. Blocks can be rearranged as desired by the admin.
Intelligent images feature works with Clever digital image editing. The inbuilt system can easily edit the images so that your Website looks neat, clean, and beautiful.
This is the most powerful feature of Django CMS/Wagtail CMS. It lets the admin test multiple pages with A/B testing. A/B is necessary to find what pages are good as per UI point of view and what are not.
With Wagtail localization, the admin enjoys the out-of-the-box localization features. This allows your webpage to be presented in many international languages according to the visitor’s needs.
Features of Wagtail CMS
Several features of Wagtail should be overlooked due to their prominence and ability to make an outstanding website.
1. Editing Features:
- The preview features will let you check the preview of the Website to look for all changes being done on the site.
- The table with the WYSIWYG rich-text editor is difficult to use. But in Wagtail CMS, the separate block editor resolves this issue.
- Automatic revisions are something that is never going to fade away. These revisions are saved automatically and can be used later.
- The image cropping and uploading features allow you to provide pixel-perfect thumbnails.
- Intelligent copy and paste feature without worrying about the styling issue on the Website.
- You can create a single-page form with Wagtail CMS.
2. Administrative Features:
- Wagtail allows you to add different groups of users with different permissions.
- Developers enjoy the ability to create searchable fields and define the relevance model field.
- Elastic search is used to find the content within the admin interface.
- Refined content workflows can be used by content owners and editors.
- You can run multiple sites via the same admin interface.
- Editable site content areas can be modified with the site setting module.
- Use the wagtail API to receive and read a read-only JSON-based API.
- It can be used with other Django apps without any headache.
- Wagtail is very lightweight in design that enhances the performance in one go.
- Wagtails cache invalidator module helps in providing real-time changes to show real content.
- You can easily generate static sites using Django bakery and wagtail bakery.
- Wagtail cms has a rich community that provides solutions to every problem it encounters.
- The test coverage reaction of Wagtail CMS is unique. Wagtail has a unique 95% test coverage ratio.
Use cases of Wagtail Python-based CMS
Despite the popularity of other Wagtail CMS such as WordPress, Joomla, Weebly; Wagtail is still preferred by a large segment of people who want to get out-of-the-box benefits provided by Wagtail.
SimplicityNeed: Managing multiple CMS systems for different websites can be complex. Wagtail provides the functionality of managing all sites under one CMS. This is used by people who want lightweight CMS without many complexities.
Flexibility in Development: Wagtail CMS provides full flexibility to developers for doing any kind of technical changes without worrying much about the coding. So, people who want highly customized websites go for Wagtail.
Query and Database Control: It actively gives a performance boost to the Website as the admin has full query and database control in the Wagtail Content management system.
Wagtail CMS is a great way to enhance the site’s capability with Content-driven architecture and additional development functionalities. It is more flexible, robust, and extensive from every corner. Join the list of Google, NASA, And NHS and thousands of other websites using the Wagtail CMS. Step up into the new way to manage websites with python based Wagtail CMS.