With the inventions in the technological world, many programming languages are getting fire and one of those programming languages is Python. It is expected the popularity of Python for web development will overtake Java and C# in the coming two-three years. Due to Python’s efficiency in web development, it is used by Giant companies like Google, Netflix, Instagram, etc. Developing a website with Python can be a daunting task, but you can automate the implementation of the common solutions, reduce the development time, with the help of the Python frameworks. Python frameworks are boon for web developers.
Table of Contents
Why Python Frameworks for Web Development over Other Frameworks?
With the rising popularity of the Python programming languages, the Python frameworks are considered as one of the prominent frameworks for web development for its adaptivity and diversity. Here are some of the benefits of Python frameworks for web development:
- Scalable and integrated
- Object-oriented programming language
- Wide range of libraries
- Easy and simple syntax
- Automated development and testing
- No compilation phase accelerates the edit-test-debug process.
The demand for the python frameworks for web development is growing rapidly since these are being used in the machine intelligence and data science sector. Before going deeper into the world of Python frameworks, let’s first learn about the types of Python frameworks for web development.
Types of Python Frameworks
In General, Python frameworks are of three types:
- Full-Stack Frameworks
- Micro Frameworks
- Asynchronous Frameworks
Full-Stack Python frameworks for web development are considered a one-stop solution for python developers. These frameworks are pre-packaged and embedded with everything you need during web development including, ORM (Object-relational mapping) technology, MVC architecture, routers, template engines, etc. Full-stack frameworks are capable of handling any level of complexity, especially used for large projects. Some of the full-stack python frameworks for web development are Django, Pyramid, TurboGears.
Micro Frameworks as the name suggests used for small-scale Python projects. These python frameworks are considered lightweight and don’t offer additional functionalities and features. Thus, in Microframeworks, the developers need to add a lot of code and functionalities. These frameworks help the developers to add the functionalities and features of their own choice. Micro frameworks are the right choice for smaller applications, API development, or applications with high performance. Micro Frameworks are CherryPy, Bottle, Falcon.
Asynchronous frameworks allow concurrent connections to deliver high levels of performance. Due to the presence of the asyncio library, the asynchronous frameworks can handle a huge set of simultaneous connections. These frameworks allow performing several tasks simultaneously without a specific sequence. Some of the Asynchronous Frameworks are AioHTTP, Sanic, Tornado.
Looking for Expert Python Development?
TWS developers have 10+ years of practical experience with Python-based web projects and data science-powered solutions built with the help of Python libraries.
Best Python Frameworks for Web Development in 2021
Django is a free, open-source, and full-stack Python framework, allows the developers to code and develop applications quickly. Django is one of the beloved and best Python framework used for the rapid development of APIs and web applications. Django provides all the essential features like authentication, URL routing, template engine, object-relational mapping, database schema migrations, etc. Django has comprehensive and detailed documentation and has large community support.
Features of Django Framework
- Django framework has a built-in authentication system and provides support database schema migration and ORM mapping.
- Django framework provides a simple yet powerful URL system.
- A feature of the automatic admin interface allows the developers to edit, add, and delete things with customizations.
- Django framework provides an extensive range of ready-to-use libraries.
CherryPy is one of the powerful and oldest micro-framework used for web development. CherryPy is an open-source and object-oriented Python framework for Web Development. CherryPy can easily work with Windows, Unix, Linux, and macOS. This python framework allows the simultaneous operations of many HTTP servers which makes it the best framework among all other microframeworks. It allows Python developers to develop web applications rapidly. Moreover, CherryPy owns a multi-thread server, which allows the operation of multiple servers at a time.
Features of CherryPy Framework
- CherryPy provides many out-of-the-box tools of authentication, caching, encoding, sessions, etc.
- CherryPy facilities the developers with a flexible built-in plugin system.
- CherryPy gives a consistent, HTTP/1.1-compliant, WSGI thread-pooled webserver.
- CherryPy offers a powerful configuration system.
The pyramid is a full-stack Python framework that can be used for the development of simple as well as complex applications. The pyramid framework has become the number one choice of experienced developers, and the popularity is growing with time. Pyramid framework is highly recommended for the developers for the process of mapping the coded URLs which helps the developers to build RESTful APIs without any efforts. The pyramid framework is used by tech giants like Mozilla, Yelp, Dropbox, and many more.
Features of Pyramid Framework
- The pyramid is an ideal framework for both small and complex projects.
- The pyramid framework offers flexible authentication and authorization.
- The pyramid framework provides URL mapping based on Route configuration through URL dispatch and web helpers.
- The pyramid framework supports testing and data documentation.
Grok is an open-source and web framework based on Zope toolkit technology. Grok’s user interface is quite similar to a full-stack Python framework like Pylons and TurboGears. Grok framework provides an agile development experience to the developers with the help of two general principles – convention over configuration and DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself). Grok framework provides out-of-the-box features for the development of powerful and extensible web applications.
Features of Grok Framework
- Grok framework offers a powerful object database for storage.
- The component architecture in the Grok framework assists the developers to lessen the unpredictability of development.
- Grok Framework provides integrated security.
- Grok Framework offers all the essential features for custom web application development.
Features of TurboGears Framework
- TurboGears framework is executed as a function decorator.
- TurboGears framework supports multi-database and accessible command-line tools.
- TurboGears framework supports the MVC architecture and PasteScript templates.
Web2Py is a free, open-source, scalable, and full-stack Python framework. Web2Py has its own web-based IDE, that involves a code editor, debugger, and one-click deployment. Web2Py is a cross-platform framework that works on Windows, Unix/Linux, Mac, and other platforms. Web2Py framework allows the developers to build, revise, deploy, and manage web applications via web browsers.
The most alluring feature of the Web2Py framework is the ticketing framework which issues a ticket whenever a mistake occurs. This feature allows the developers to track their mistakes and their status.
Features of Web2Py Framework
- Web2Py frameworks support the MVC based architecture that simplifies web development.
- Web2Py framework allows the developers to work with relational and NoSQL databases.
- Web2Py framework helps to keep the web apps secure by addressing top risks and security issues.
- Web2Py is a flexible, powerful, and extensible Python framework for Web Development.
Flask framework is a microframework that is accessible under the BSD(Berkeley Software Distribution) license. Flask Python Framework is inspired by the Sinatra Ruby framework. It requires the Jinja2 template and the Werkzeug WSGI toolkit. Flask is an adaptable framework due to its lightweight and modular design. This microframework has been used by several tech giants like Linkedin and Pinterest. Flask framework is an ideal framework for the webserver development that supports Google App Engine as well as in-built unit testing.
Features of Flask Framework
- Flask framework provides features like a built-in development server and debugger with RESTful request dispatching.
- Flask framework offers support for secure cookies and modular testing.
- Flask framework is known for its WSGI 1.0 compliance and Jinja2 templating.
- Flask framework facilitates multiple extensions provided by the community to simplify the integration of new functionalities.
Bottle framework is one of the extensively used Python frameworks used to develop small-scale applications in Python. Bottle frameworks execute everything in a single document. The use of the Bottle frameworks allows the developers to work closely with the hardware. This python framework is a viable framework for developing and building simple personal use applications. Initially, the bottle framework is used for the develop simple APIs, gradually it is used for micro applications development. Bottle framework embedded with the functionalities like templating, directing, utilities, and fewer abstractions over WSGI standard.
Features of Bottle Framework
- Bottle Framework provides the dynamic URL-routes for mapping with the use of simpler syntax.
- Rapid and easy built-in template engine and backing.
- Bottle framework allows the speed optimizations for testing and high performance.
- Bottle framework provides simple access to cookies, data, file uploads, and other HTTP-relational metadata.
Wrapping it Up
No doubt, there are several python frameworks for web development that are going to gain popularity in the coming years. But every framework has its own pros and cons. By reading this article, you now have complete knowledge about the pros and cons of the popular Python frameworks for web development. Rest the selection of the Python frameworks for web development relies on the coding styles, preferences, and project requirements.
If you still have doubts related to the Python Frameworks for Web Development and want to get the web development services, then hire dedicated web developer from a reputed company in the USA, Tekki Web Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Read More: Nodejs vs Python – Which is the Best Option for Web App Development?
Custom Software Development by TWS
Our expert team of developers utilizes proven practices to develop software that brings maximum benefits to your business.